Renting in Windsor Part 1 – Introduction to Residential Rental License

Renting in Windsor

If you own a property in Windsor, you will now need to acquire a residential rental license before you can rent it out.

As of February 13, 2023, property owners in Ward 1 or Ward 2, whose buildings contain one to four dwelling units, will have to get a residential rental licence for each unit.

According to the City Of Windsor website, the residential rental licence is a paper document identifying the owner and municipal address of a rental housing unit.

To apply, one needs to provide the contact information of the owner or those responsible for the property along with documents that show that the property is safe for occupation. Those who are found renting unlicensed units are liable to face penalties or fines.

In this article, we will understand the prerequisites of applying for a Residential Rental License.

Which properties require a rental license?

Under the Residential Rental Licensing (RRL) Pilot Study, owners of buildings in Ward 1 or Ward 2 with four or fewer units must get a licence for units they rent or market for rent unless they are:

  • Occupied by the owner or their immediate family (parents, children, spouse)
  • Using it as a hotel, motel, or inn
  • Already licensed by the city as a guest house, bed-and-breakfast, or lodging house
  • A provincially regulated retirement home, long-term care home, or special care home
  • Social or affordable housing

You can confirm which ward your property is in by using the City’s Public Property Inquiry tool or by referring to the study area map.

Who can apply for a residential rental licence?

In order to apply for a residential rental licence, the individual must be:

  • Be at least 18 years old, and,
  • Have legal status to work in Canada.

If the owners don’t meet the criteria, they can assign someone who meets the criteria to act as their authorised agent.

To apply for a licence for a unit owned by a corporation, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old, and,
  • Be a director or officer of the corporation, or,
  • Be authorized to act on behalf of the corporation in writing.

If you are not able to be in Windsor to submit your application yourself, you will need to assign someone you trust who can be your authorized agent. To act as an authorized agent, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old, and,
  • Be authorized to act on behalf of the owner in writing.

Where to apply

All license applications must be made in person at:

350 City Hall Square West, Suite 110
Windsor, Ontario
N9A 6S1

The Licensing counter is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Also, note that the City Hall is closed on weekends and holidays.

Licensing fees

If you are applying for a license for the first time, you will have to pay a fee of $466. This amount can be paid via Canadian cash, business cheque, or by debit, Visa, or Mastercard in person at the Licensing counter.

The license has to be renewed annually on or before May 31 and must be displayed near the unit’s primary entrance. If the license is not renewed on or after June 1, a 50% late penalty is added.

The license fee paid at the time of submitting the application includes the cost of one visit from Building and Fire. Additional fees, charged according to the City’s User Fee Schedule, may apply if more than one visit is required to show that the unit meets the licence requirements.

To understand the application process in detail, read Renting In Windsor Part 2 – How to Apply for Residential Rental License.


Related Articles